Friday, February 11, 2011

It's manufactured, materialistic holiday time!


And I LOVE IT!

Nay-Sayers, say all ya like, but I just love Valentine's day. I love the flowers. I love the chocolates. I love wandering through the aisles at Target picking out the perfect $2.50 box of Valentines to give to friends. And most of all, I love getting to spend an extra-special, extra-romantic, (extra sassy) day with my honey. But even during the many (many) Valentine's Days I spent as a single gal, I still loved it! For as long as I can remember, my mom always used to make this big fancy "romantic" dinner a'la Lady and the Tramp, and we would all dress up and eat spaghetti and meatballs together by candlelight. My dad would bring me flowers, we gave each other little baskets of presents, and it was always just a really happy day.

And for the last several years, Valentine's week has made me feel extra warm-and-fuzzy for one simple reason: on February 10th, 2005, my husband got down on one knee and asked me to be his wife.

You see, six years ago, I suspected that he was possibly planning to pop-the-question on Valentine's Day, but he wanted me to be completely surprised! I was flying into Columbia for a weekend visit, and my plane landed around 10 o'clock at night. When we reunited in the airport after a few weeks apart, it was wonderful as always. I also couldn't help but notice that Braden was holding a gift bag in his hand. "I got you a little something; an early Valentine's gift." I smiled and opened the bag to find a big box of chocolates. And there was a hand-written letter on the top of the box. The letter was three pages long, and opened up into the shape of a heart. As I read the beautiful words, Braden stood behind me with his arms wrapped around my waist. At first, I thought it was just a thoughtful gift, but as I continued to read, the letter became more and more serious in its intentions! When I finally opened up the heart to reveal the last page, all it said was "Please say yes," and I whirled around to find Braden down on one knee in the airport terminal, a gorgeous diamond ring in his hand. And the rest, as they say, is history :)

We go back to the airport every year to sit in the exact spot where we got engaged, eating desserts, talking, and reminiscing. What can I say? I have the best husband in the world. So no matter who's love you're celebrating this Valentine's Day, make it a joyful day! Celebrate your family, your friends, and the One who created all this lovey-dovey stuff to begin with ;)

1 Corinthians 13

If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

No comments:

Post a Comment