Monday, October 25, 2010

Adventure is out there!

Right this second, I'm jammin' to "Dog Days Are Over" by Florence + The Machine, which basically makes me want to dance my way onto a bicycle in Bali, or to a wedding in India where flowers are raining down on my head.

(But maybe that's just because this song is in the trailer to "Eat, Pray, Love." Who knows.)


Regardless, travel is perhaps the single earthly thing that I assign the utmost value to. Travel and adventure. The only reason I would ever desire money would be so that I could wander freely and at will for the rest of my days all over this great blue ball of ours. Perhaps on a sailboat.

No, definitely on a sailboat. I am not a land creature; on or in the water is where I belong. I get the most incredible sleep if I'm on a boat. The smaller and wobblier, the better! It is one of my favorite bucket-list dreams to hop on a sailboat and sail "away from the things of man." (If you can name that movie quote, I will buy you a Starbucks. A drink, not a franchise.)

The things I will never get rid of are the things that have traveled with me and shared in my adventures. The capri pants I wore all around Ireland. The beach towel that came with me into the jungles of Belize. The yellow peasant top in which I explored Mayan ruins in Mexico. The suitcases that I got for my highschool graduation that have been on dozens of planes, visited at least 6 countries, gotten lost over the Atlantic, and still have my maiden name and parent's address scrawled on the back of them in black sharpie, lest they lose me mid-journey. They all carry the stamp of where they've been, like worn out old passports, giving them weight and history.

So the plan is to visit every continent, and innumerable destinations therein. To drink and taste and touch all of the vast riches that culture and history and people have to offer. To see it all with my own two eyes. To dance across the globe.

To swim in it.

To breathe it in.

To soak it up.


Life is too short to be ethnocentric. Life to too short to live small.

ADVENTURE IS OUT THERE!

GO.

2 comments:

  1. No, definitely on a sailboat. I am not a land creature; on or in the water is where I belong. I get the most incredible sleep if I'm on a boat. The smaller and wobblier, the better.

    Hurricane Island's still on my heart, too. :)

    ReplyDelete