Monday, September 3, 2012

Jesus would've hung out at strip clubs - Part 2


Wow, so much has happened since God spoke to me about starting an outreach to women working as exotic dancers just a few short weeks ago! First of all, it has been confirmed again and again and again that this is what I'm supposed to be doing RIGHT NOW. The people God has put in my path, the provision, and the massive spiritual warfare that has been faced all shout, "YES!" And it's been both exciting and terrifying in almost equal measure :) Here's a re-cap of what's been shakin':

1. I am officially registered for the Strip Church training in Miami at the end of this month! God has provided the funds for the training itself and for the hotel (PTL!!) I'm still praying that the $350 I need for the airfare comes through soon!

2. On Friday, July 27th, I did my very first strip club outreach! It didn't go quite as I expected, but it was a great first step, and I know that God had it go just the way that He had planned.

With the help of many friends who so generously donated their hard-earned cash, I was able to assemble 40 gift bags for the first outreach. Each bag contained fun stuff like nail polish, lip gloss, lotion, candles, hair accessories, etc., a simple message of hope and encouragement, and an invitation to Newspring church.

My hubby drove me to the club at about 7:30pm, where I was met by a brave friend who had only just heard about my plan earlier that afternoon! We enthusiastically brought our heavy boxes brimming over with frilly pinkness to the door, only to be stopped cold by two surprisingly nice bouncers. Long story short, they wouldn't let us bring the bags into the club. However, they did let us leave the bags for the girls to take home if they wanted to. Needless to say, I left the club extremely discouraged that night. But I now realize that the way things went did not take God by surprise. He knew what was going to happen, and it was a part of His perfect plan. I was obedient. I took the steps I knew I needed to take. And even though I didn't get to see the "end of the rainbow" that night, it's ok. I'll get to see the end of the rainbow soon :) Overall, I would say it was a great first night - but the best is yet to come!

3. God has brought so many amazing women into my life over the past several weeks who's hearts are also stirred and burdened by this ministry. This, to me, is the most beautiful confirmation. Once I come back from Strip Church training, there will be an incredible team of women just waiting to take this city by storm with me! God has also recently brought a woman into my life who used to be in the industry who has been doing a very similar outreach for a few years here in our community. This coming weekend, I will be accompanying her to a few different clubs, and I'm SO excited to learn and grow and start building relationships with these girls!

So, wanna get involved? Here's how you can help!

-PRAY. The spiritual warfare I've felt since beginning this whole thing is unlike anything I've ever encountered before. Pray for protection, for safety, for peace, for freedom from fear, for open doors into these clubs, for the club owners and managers to have open hearts, and most of all, for these beautiful women who Jesus loves!

-DONATE. I still need about $350 to buy a round-trip ticket to Miami for the training, and I KNOW that God will provide what I need to get there! And there will be an ongoing need for donations of money and/or items to fill the gift bags - each bag costs about $4 to make. If you'd like to help in any way, here's a PayPal link for making secure donations: https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/send-money-online. The e-mail address is: shouldve.been.a.supervillian@gmail.com. I don't have a 501c3 yet or anything, but I will match any donation with hugs and cookies :)

For all of you who have been praying for and supporting this adventure already, I truly thank you from the bottom of my heart. Your prayers have been FELT, and without the generous donations of a few incredible people, none of this would be possible. I cannot wait to see what happens next! 

No comments:

Post a Comment