Sunday, February 12, 2012

Je t'aime


It's that time of year again - love it or hate it, Valentine's Day is almost upon us. Being the whimsical-unicorns-and-fairy-dust kinda gal that I am, I've always loved Valentines Day. But for 7 years now, Valentine's week has made me feel extra warm-and-fuzzy for one simple reason: on February 10th, 2005, my best friend got down on one knee and asked me to be his wife.

Seven years ago, my man planned the best pre-Valentine's Day surprise that I never saw coming! We were rocking the whole long-distance-relationship thing, so I was flying into Columbia for a weekend visit. My plane landed around 10 o'clock at night, so I was looking super hot in a hoodie and jeans ;) When we reunited in the airport after a few weeks apart, it was, as always, wonderful. And I couldn't help but notice that Braden was holding a little gift bag in his hand. "I got you a little something; an early Valentine's gift." I smiled and opened the bag to find a big box of chocolates. And there was a hand-written letter on the top of the box. The letter was three pages long, and opened up into the shape of a heart. As I read the beautiful words, Braden stood behind me with his arms wrapped around my waist. At first, I thought it was just a thoughtful gift, but as I continued to read, the letter became more and more beautiful and serious in its intentions! When I finally opened up the heart to reveal the last page, all it said was "Please say yes." I whirled around to find Braden down on one knee in the airport terminal, with a gorgeous diamond ring in his hand. And the rest, as they say, is history :)

Sometimes we like to go back to the airport to sit in the exact spot where we got engaged to smile, talk, and reminisce. What can I say? I have the coolest husband in the world.


The scene of the crime.

Is it silly to pay $3.00 to park at a municipal building just to take pictures and snuggle on a bench? Probably. But I'm cool with that ;)

So no matter who's love you're celebrating this Valentine's Day, make it a joyful day! Celebrate your family, your friends, and the One who created all this lovey-dovey stuff to begin with. (That would be God. If you didn't catch my drift.)

Another way I kicked of Valentine's week right? By hosting my first-ever Gal-entine's Day tea party! (Ya know, like, Valentine's Day for GALS. Thanks Leslie Knope.) And it was FAB!


The centerpiece: Ostrich feathers and gerbera daisies in old spice jars that I covered in glitter!


The menu? Chilled chocolate-covered strawberry soup in martini glasses:

                                     

Lavender rose petal scones, petit fours:


And more tea than we knew what to do with! 

What are your plans for Valentine's Day? A romantic night out? (Or in? ~wink~) A fabulous evening of girl-power? Sappy movies? Horror movies? Weeping into your pint of Ben & Jerry's? I'd love to hear all about it. (But not if it's that last one. If that's you, please refer to my previous post.) 


No comments:

Post a Comment